Platonism and its Legacy
Edited by John F. Finamore and Tomáš Nejeschleba.
This anthology of 23 essays by scholars from around the world is published in association with the International Society for Neoplatonic Studies. It contains many of the papers presented in their 2017 annual conference.
- Why the Intelligibles are not Outside the Intellect - Lloyd Gerson.
- The Causality of the First Principle and the theory of Two Activities in Plotinus Enn. V.4  13 - Andrei Timotin.
- "Our concern, though, is not to be out of sin, but to be god:" Assimilation to god according to Plotinus - Thomas Vidart.
- Eros as Soul’s ‘Eye’ in Plotinus: What does it see and not see? - Lela Alexidze.
- Eternity and Time in Porphyry, Sentence 44 - Lenka Karfíková.
- Gender construction and social connections in Porphyry’s Ad Marcellam - Mathilde Cambron-Goulet.
- What kind of souls did Proclus discover? - Svetlana Messiats.
- Is self-knowledge one or multiple? Consciousness in ‘Simplicius’, Commentary on On the Soul - Chiara Militello.
- Simplicius on De Anima 407b23-408a29 - Carolina Sánchez.
- Neoplatonic Asclepius - Eugene Afonasin.
- Porphyry and the Motif of Christianity as παράνομος - Ilaria Ramelli.
- The Reception of Xenophanes’ Philosophical Theology in Plato and the Christian Platonists - Monika Recinová.
- Cyril of Alexandria’s Theory of the Incarnate Union Re-examined - Sergey Trostyanskiy.
- The Erotic Magus: Ficino’s De amore as a Guide to Plato’s Symposium - Angela Hobbs.
- Francesco Patrizi and the Oracles of Zoroaster: The Use of Chaldean Oracles in Nova de universis philosophia - Vojtěch Hladky.
- Ficino in the light of alchemy. Heinrich Khunrathʼs use of Ficinian metaphysics of light - Martin Žemla.
- Johannes Kepler and His Neoplatonic Sources - Jiří Michalík.
- Georgius Raguseius against Astrology - Luka Boršić and Ivana Skuhala Karasman.
- The Platonic Framework of Valeriano Magni’s Philosophy - Tomáš Nejeschleba.
- Comenius’ Pansophia in the Context of Renaissance Neo-Platonism - Jan Čížek.
- The Spirit of Nature and the Spirit of God - Jacques Joseph.
- Lewis Campbell’s Studies on Plato and their Philosophical Significance - Thomas Mróz.
- Psychological Effects of Henôsis - Bruce J. MacLennan.
440 pages. Paperback.
About the SeriesSee all volumes
These anthologies, published by the Prometheus Trust in association with the International Association for Neoplatonic Studies (ISNS), collect essays by leading scholars in the field of (Neo)platonic philosophy.